St. Vincent Ferrer’s Media Center is an active area of learning and growing as readers and as students.
During library classes, the students will learn research and study skills, comprehension strategies, and how to navigate the library. The students will also participate in the Accelerated Reader Program.
About the Accelerated Reader (AR) Program
The Accelerated Reader Program is a reading incentive program where students read books and take short quizzes which assess their reading comprehension. Each book is assigned a point value (AR Points) and these points are earned by completing the comprehension assessments.
Each grade level has a minimum point goal to work towards. Students that meet these goals will have their names displayed monthly on our AR STARS Bulletin Board outside of the Library. Book Bucks and Certificates will also be rewarded.
Please click the link for more information on the Book Bucks Program.
Point Goals Per Grade Level:
- 8th – 8 points
- 7th – 7 points
- 6th – 6 points
- 5th – 5 points
- 4th – 4 points
- 3rd – 2 points for the 1st semester and then 3 points for the 2nd semester
- 2nd – 1 point for the 1st semester and then 2 points for the 2nd semester
Your child’s AR grade will be based on their participation in the program (reading and taking tests throughout the month).
- Students must pass at least 1 test per month with a minimum score of 70% in order to receive full participation.
- Grades will be posted halfway through the month.
- Students that have completed this requirement will receive a 100.
- Students that have not completed this requirement will receive a 0 in RenWeb until an AR test is taken and passed with the minimum required score (70%). At that time, their grade will change to a 100.
- Students that do not complete this requirement by the end of the month, will be given a book report template to complete in class for the highest grade of a 70%.
Finding AR Books:
Students may check out a book from our school library each week. Many of the library books provided for the students at St. Vincent Ferrer have AR tests. Many books at our local public libraries and bookstores have quizzes which students are able to take during the school day. AR Book Finder is a website that assists students and parents in finding books that have AR tests.
We will require students in grades 4-8 to complete daily reading logs on their Accelerated Reader (AR) novels. Your child is expected to read 15-20 minutes a day. This can be completed at home or in school and the logs can be signed by either parents or teachers. These logs will be checked each Media class and taken for a participation grade along with their monthly AR requirements.
Daily reading is such an important component when developing a good reader. Your child should spend time reading every day to build their vocabulary, comprehension, stamina and fluency!
Individual Student Progress:
If you would like to view your child's progress, please visit Renaissance Home Connect
. Logins will be provided by the end of the week.
Please feel free to contact me throughout the year with any questions or concerns you may have. The best way to reach me is by email.
IT Administrator/Media-Technology Specialist